Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What's been going on?

I had a great conversation with a fellow blogger and friend, Andrea Bordeaux (a blogging veteran). She is so focused and knowledgeable about the business and really works on her craft. I realized after our conversation that I have been focusing a lot on the "business side" of acting (which is great, of course!) and forgetting about the creative side. I'm embarrassed to say how long it's been since I've been in a formal acting class and even the course I did take weren't adequate enough. What happens when my business savvy side get me in the room? Having teachers praise my talent recently has led me to see that it was never my talent I doubted, it's my skills. My biggest problem with acting has been not having the tools I need to channel my talent with. I'm hungry to do it, but lacking some of the technical skills.With that in mind, here is what has been happening:

  • Today I took a big step in my acting career. I finally made a decision about which acting class to take. I auditioned with Anthony Abeson this afternoon to be a student in one of his classes and I made it in! It only took a year and a half for me to make the leap, lol. I'm looking forward to working with him. 
  •  I went to TVI Studios for an introduction to the program after seeing a flyer promising a free casting workshop. The program seemed very interesting, but I just don't have that type of money now to part with for a membership and I'm also more interested in a solid acting class than workshops right now. Plus One on One is more affordable and a lot of my friends are apart of it and recommend their program. Nevertheless, I registered to audition for Lauren Port's casting workshop next month at no cost. Pretty sweet deal! 
  • I'm going to voice lessons once a week (and practicing often on my own) as well as several dance classes weekly.  
  • Roz Coleman's On-Camera Intensive workshop started last week and is wonderful! 
  • Roz recommends reading Margie Haber's "How to Get The Part" and this book is amazing! As soon as I finish it I'm going to start reading Susan Batson's, "Truth". I'm definitely interested in reading more great material so if anyone has any recommendations feel free to let me know!
  • Keeping with that, I'm going to start researching and building my knowledge of TV shows/movies that have roles for me and the casting directors who cast them. I plan on doing the same for theatre as well. Doctors read medical journals and know all of the new advancements withing their field. Lawyers, engineers, teachers, etc. There isn't any excuse for me not knowing the industry I claim to be apart of and love.
Whew! There's a lot going on for me right now and that doesn't even include my day job as a substitute teacher and just living. I'm very excited to see my progress over the next couple of months and throughout the summer.

Note: Still looking for a commercial agent (on camera and print). Send up a prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment