Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Morning Glory Catharsis

So I had an easy day today of sorts. I slept in, made a nice breakfast and picked up my new glasses (which I spent WAYYYYY too much money on). Once home I warmed up some leftovers from Whole Foods and watched "Morning Glory" starring Rachel McAdams, Diane Keaton and Harrison Ford. The movie is about Becky, a hardworking TV producer (McAdams) who has a no-existent social life and gets fired from her job. She gets hired at a failing show and turns it around for the better. Really nice, light movie. What really stuck out to me though was the miniscule sub story with her mother. Her mother has a monologue in the movie where she tells Becky that her dreams were cute as a child, inspiring at 18, but sad at 28 and she needs to give up. That struck something in me. Now my family isn't at all like that. They are in fact, very supportive. It's me who's the hard one. I'm 27 years old and I had doubts about my future as an artist. I used to think that I was too old to keep dreaming and pursue a career in the business and I needed to move on to something more stable. I know there are a lot of "seasoned" actors out there who are shocked and tickled by this revelation; nevertheless it's true. But the past couple of weeks have been a blur. I'm doing and achieving things I thought would take awhile to obtain. I have representation, I have auditions coming in, people are commenting on my talent and my look favorably and things are really coming together. As I was watching the movie, two castings I wanted sent me emails inviting me to audition or interview. I was just thinking about how out of all the submissions I replied to on Actor's Access and NYCastings, I wasn't hearing much back. And now look at what happened. I'm still facing rejection the way all actors,dancers and models do but I also feel a confidence and inner strength in my abilities to succeed that wasn't quite there before. Sure I was confident before, but hard work, specific goals and results have bred a new confidence in me as well as a hunger to do more and achieve more. It amazes me how I can take anything in life and learn a lesson or receive inspiration from it. I guess the romantic in me will not let the realistic side of me keep it down for too long. I'm enjoying my journey, my personal rollercoaster of life and experiencing the ups, the downs as well as the topsy turvies. Those are what make life one hell of ride! So far it's been pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment