Thursday, April 8, 2010

"Unchain My Heart" Audition

So there is a new musical coming to Broadway about Ray Charles. I went to the Equity dancer call and it was PACKED. I signed in on the non-equity list and ran into this girl I met at another audition named Jennifer. She was auditioning as well. We chilled together while waiting to see if we would be seen or not. I met a couple of other black girls, some of which I had sen around before as well. Some were equity some were not, like me. Finally we get word that they were going to take all non-eq headshots and type the list down from about 120 to 16! Needless to say, I wasn't called in. Jennifer knew the guy in the holding room and asked for some tips as to why she wasn't called in. He said that the casting team were probably only skimming each resume', looking for Broadway or touring credits and he also noticed that here voice wasn't listed at the top. You would think that was a minor point, but it made sense. He said that the casting directors would think they were just looking at a dancer who couldn't sing and toss the headshot aside and type you out.

I ended up talking with a couple of ladies who had been in the game a minute and one of them so graciously helped me plan how to improve the look of my resume' and make it more readable and make the most of the credits I did have. I will forever be thankful to her. Most of the young women I met were so nice and we exchanged, cards, numbers, email etc. with the promise to hang out together sometime soon.

With the day pretty much gone I prepared to head home. As I walked out with Jennifer, one of her friends told us that Harvard was having a showcase at Theatre Row that her friend was in and asked if we wanted to tag along. Since it was free and I wasn't ready to end the day I decided to take her up on the idea. Plus it would be nice to get know both of them a little better. We ended up having a good time and seeing the showcase really motivated me to work even harder at achieving my goals.

I learned a lot that day, and I believe I'm going to have to rethink my stand on not working towards getting an agent soon and trying to become apart of the union. It's no fun waiting in line all day, just to be told that there's no time to see you. 

In the meantime, I'm still taking class and attending my voice lessons. This weekend I'm going to ATL to be a hair model in "The World Natural Hair Show" I'm so excited! I've never been to Atlanta before. Here is a picture of the flyer that my face is on. I love it!


This is a picture of me and my new friend Jennifer at the audition:


Here I am at Theatre Row. I really liked the colors and design of this sign. Oh, and I found these fresh flowers in the trash and I clipped one off and put it in my hair. Had the girls rolling! I was cute though! lol

Here is Jennifer. Cute pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment