Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Experiences: Korean Fashion Show

Well yesterday I was contacted by my friend Nathan who had a friend that was in a bind. She had a scholarship fashion show the next day she was a contestant in and one of her models had dropped out that day. So right after rehearsal I stopped by Parsons Design School and met with her. The job wasn't paid but I wanted to help her. I remember those days in Directing I & II where you hoped and prayed your actors would show up and show out. The show was a success. I thought it was funny how all of the Korean designers loved my hair and said they wished their hair could be like mine.  Hyeyoung, my designer, had me comb my hair out as big as it could be. (How ironic; most black women run from their natural texture and here these women with long silk hair are coveting MY hair.) I had a great time and met some amazingly talented designers and other models. Plus, although the gig wasn't supposed to be paid, Hyeyoung gave each of us $50 giftcards! That was truly a blessing because I need all the help I can get. I had my first tastes of many Korean dishes and even saw a few women in traditional dress. It was a very interesting and fulfilling experience. It renewed my desire to know more about other cultures as well as my own. All in all, I'm glad I did the show and I hope to work with or at the very least hang out with my designer again.

P.S. - Hyeyoung, If you ever read this, I would LOVE to have the leggings you made for me and the jacket you made for Ashley. ; )

Me, Hyeyoung (designer), and the other model. Her name is Ashley too. We truly were Ashley²: Ebony and Ivory edition. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment