Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dance Recap: First two classes

So yesterday I started my dance classes at Broadway Dance Center (BDC). so far I've had positive feedback and I'm excited to see what the future brings. God willing, I'll be able to get workstudy by the end of next month to cut down on the cost of training or I'll have to cut back on the amount of classes I can take : (
Dollie Henry's jazz class was the perfect class for me to start off with. I enjoyed Dollie's energy and her philosophy on dance. She's from the UK and only here to teach five sessions. Her warmup was very thorough and interesting. I really liked the across the floor combination. The actual routine she taught us was my favorite part. I really felt liek I was at a party rather than just doing a combo. There were only six students since it was the forst class, but I liked the intimate feel of it. I'm pretty sure the class will grow from word of mouth as the sessions continue. I will deinitely attend when I don't have rehearsal.
Today I took hip hop with Valentine. Luam was supposed to teach but he subbed in. I was a little apprehensive because hip hop isn't what I would consider one of my strengths and the class was huge. There had to to be between 30-40 people taking the class. Some of them obviously were hip hop dancers and weren't afraid to let it be know by doing combos before class and during the stretch. I decided to just go for it and be myself. I really enjoyed the combination and the energy and personality Valentine had. I appreciated the time he took to correct a move I couldn't get. Suprisingly when it came time to chose the dancers that spoke to him and "got it", so that they could show the rest of the class, he choose me first! I was very humbled and flattered. Here I was thinking that I would look a mess and intimidated by the other dancers and I was chosen to show what I could do.
That led me to realize that I need to stop doubting my talent. Although New York is definitely a bigger market for dancers and actors, talent is talent. Now I know I need to keep training and improving , but I'm not at square one. I am having a great time exploring my talents and finding out my strengths and weaknesses in the dance world. I can't wait to meet more choreographers and continue training on a regular basis. Stay tuned for more dance recaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment